Angioedema or Hives is usually treated by avoiding known triggers to the allergic reaction.
The prescription drugs for the treatments of hives and angioedema may include:
- Antihistamines: It is the standard treatment for hives and angioedema. These medications reduce itching, swelling and other allergy symptoms.
- Drugs that suppress the immune system: Drugs that can calm an overactive immune system will be prescribed if antihistamines are not effective.
- Drugs for hereditary angioedema: If you come from a family history of angioedema, you may take medication to relieve symptoms and keep certain proteins in your blood at levels that do not cause symptoms.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs: In case of severe hives or angioedema, doctors may prescribe a short course of oral corticosteroid drugs. Corticosteroids in the form of tablets, injections, inhalers and topical gels and creams can be used to relieve the swelling.
- Medications like Benadryl, Claritin, Allegra and Cetirizine are also prescribed.
Welts that form in minutes to hours, Extreme tiredness,Tingling of the skin,Hoarse voice,Itchy skin,Swelling of the face, hands and feet,Swelling of GI tract causing nausea, vomiting, pain, diarrhea,Swelling of the throat or airway causing pain, trouble swallowing,Difficulty breathing,Noisy breathing
Swelling with a red-colored rash beneath the surface of the skin,Swelling on or near the feet, hands, eyes, or lips,In severe cases, the swelling may include abdominal cramping and can spread to other parts of the body,In rare cases, people with angioedema may experience a swollen throat, hoarseness, and difficulty breathing
Antihistamines Benadryl, Claritin -loratadine, Allegra -fexofenadine and Zyrtec -cetirizine,H2 antihistamines Tagamet -cimetidine, Pepcid -famotidine and Zantac -ranitidine,In some cases, oral steroids such as prednisone,Injectable medication called omalizumab -Xolair,Cyclosporine -Restasis, light therapies like narrowband UVB phototherapy and vitamin D supplementation can help,1 esterase inhibitors- Cinryze, Haegarda,Bradykinin B2-receptor antagonists,Icatibant- Firazyr blocks bradykinin,Plasma kallikrein inhibitors- Ecallantide- Kalbitor.